Monday, July 13, 2009

Can I realistically get a web design job based off of my current experience?

Please take a look at my portfolio and resume and gauge whether or not I could get hired at a web design firm:





http://hirejaggers.com





What can I do to make my website more hireable?





I am still learning flash, JavaScript, and CGI scripting...but are these ABSOLUTELY necessary to get hired?





Please only serious critiques.

Can I realistically get a web design job based off of my current experience?
yes
Reply:Your portfolio needs more entries. I dont think one satisfied customer is going to be enough. Your resume says you have one year of web design experience. That also is not enough.





Your objective needs to change. Its too negative for employers. It only says what the employer can do for you. You need to say what you CAN DO for the employer. You could remove the objective altogether.





Also it might be a good idea to remove those dictionary entries from the website - thats overdoing things IMO. An employer will think you are trying to teach them something they already know.





And yes I do beleive you have to learn CSS, CGI, Java script.





Just checking craigslist for my city - here's a list of web jobs posted friday.





Fri 07 Dec


GUI designer for Software


OScommerce, PHP / mySQL Developer


Web Designer with development skills


Web Designer – Freelance Project


Flash Designer


Web Developer - Action Script Coder


J2EE, Unit-testing, CSS,Ajax,Xpath,Javascript - Advisory Application D


J2EE, Struts, JSP,Weblogic,Oracle - Sr. Application Development


Java Application Developer, Oracle, SQL, Trading Applications 1888








The above skills are what employers in Toronto, Canada are looking for, now. So yes you need to know this sort of stuff to compete with the professionals.





Check out craigslist for your state or city.

botanical garden

No comments:

Post a Comment