Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Can I realistically get a web design job based off of my current experience?

Please take a look at my portfolio and resume and gauge whether or not I could get hired at a web design firm:





http://hirejaggers.com





What can I do to make my website more hireable?





I am still learning flash, JavaScript, and CGI scripting...but are these ABSOLUTELY necessary to get hired?





Please only serious critiques.

Can I realistically get a web design job based off of my current experience?
the definitions thing was a little confusing. You should at least move that to the bottom. The link for your portfolio, since it has a black background in a box...looks a little like a banner advertisement so my brain was preprogrammed to ignore it and it took a while for me to click on it. Try using a grid layout with small squares and links to all of your sites. Grids always work! It worked or your customers site. Or something like this if you don't have as many:


http://www.finerdesign.com/web_design_po...





Your design scheme is very professional. You just need to take out the caps, as they can be distracting. Center or spread out your links cause they seem a little scrunched to the left. Maybe add just a little animation just to prove that you can.





Its surely good enough that you can make yourself a business card with hirejaggers.com on it, and do some prospecting for small businesses who will need simple sites for cheap so you can build up your portfolio. Good Luck!
Reply:On your site I find this: "This site was designed to promote the hiring of Jonathon Jaggers for either your next website or your existing company."





This leads me to a question "What have you done to promote your site" I don't see any meta tags on your site and the title of your site is hirejaggers. Well, seriously if I am looking to hire a web design professional I would not search using hirejaggers as a keyword. Use your skills etc as searchable keywords in page title and description. And secondly I would prefer giving more information/summary about myself on the first page itself rather thank asking the user to download my resume and then view it. Just a few points I thought would be more useful, my personal choice, not criticism. I can suggest more if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment